Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/48 HMS Bounty, stages 1-4 PACK 1 Options
admin
#1 Posted : 14 May 2020 18:13:36

Groups: Administrator, Administrators

Hi All,

I am going to take a completely different approach to this official build. The reason is that with the build guides available as a PDF, everyone will have a chance to view the directions. What is NOT usually mentioned in an official buil;d are suggestions, problems, or different approaches. I will be building the HMS Bounty strictly Out Of the Box, but will be "mixing it up"a bit with paints, and adhesives, as well as construction that deviates from the assembly guide because I found something worked a bit better than the info presented in the Build Guide.

Speaking of the build Guide, the directions for Pack One can be found here:

https://www.model-space....y-nave-uk/download.html

To start, and THIS IS CRITICALthe frame drawings and keel layout MUST BE COPIED onto A4 paper! failure to do so will result in out of scale drawings.

To start, I glued up the frames. my gluing platformis a piece of 1/4" plate steel. I purchased several magnets that are both a true square, and are rare earth magnets. This allows me to check square, and use the holding power rare earth magnets are known for.

The adhesive I used is Franklin Titebond. It is a "Yellow Aliphatic" wood glue that I have used for decades building furniture. I tinted it with black toner ink, as I wanted to accentuate the chocks and joints in the frames.

The material used appears to be Philippine Mahogany aka Luan. It sands remarkably easily, and caution must be used to avoid sanding away too much material. I used a nail file I liberated from my wife's side of the bathroom counter, and a padded 4 grit sanding stick I got from MicroMark. The laser char comes off with little effort. (You will note that I left thr outer edges of the frames unsanded. I figured it would be far easier to sand them all after they have been glued into place on the keel.

The build starts with the assembly of the base of the "shipyard" also known as a build jig. The model will be assembled upright, as seems to be the new norm with Plank on Frame kits. (POF) the base went together without and issues at all. You MUST use a truly flat surface to assemble the base plate, as all hinges on this being flat. As you can see, I got a bit creative with what was at hand for weights...

The frames went together without any issues whatsoever. The fit is perfect!

In pack 1, we also get a Culverin, and one canon. It was with the Canon that I ran into my first issue. Part 4, the front "bulkhead" sits too high, and needs about 1.5mm shaved OFF THE TOP EDGE. Not doing so will result in the canon sitting too high. The minuscule photo etched sheet will need to be annealed. As it comes, it is too hard to bend easily, and I managed to pop off a bit of one "stop" before I decided to anneal the other parts.

To paint the culverin and canon, I used a base coat of Tamiya Flat Black, with a heavy mist of AlClad "Jet Exhaust." This resulted in a very subtle metallic sheen.
admin attached the following image(s):
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic 4.jpg
pic 5.jpg
pic 6.jpg
framejig paper 1.jpg
frame X.jpg
FX 1.jpg
FX 2.jpg
keel and stem 1.jpg