Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help Needed to Unglue Akagi Ribs that have already been Glued. Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 20 May 2019 13:27:16

Rank: Semi-Pro Level 1

Groups: Registered

Joined: 10/10/2012
Posts: 66
Points: 191
Location: UK
Suggestions for fixing a very stupid mistake. I made a mistake when I glued rib 20 and 21 in the wrong order with Gorilla Glue. Unfortunately it has cured so steam will not work. I am hoping that I do not have to purchase the first 3 shipments again. All suggestions appreciated. Oh yes this is for the Akagi build.

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 20 May 2019 16:22:39

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Joined: 09/11/2012
Posts: 6,236
Points: 18,554
Location: East midlands
dbartonjr wrote:
Suggestions for fixing a very stupid mistake. I made a mistake when I glued rib 20 and 21 in the wrong order with Gorilla Glue. Unfortunately it has cured so steam will not work. I am hoping that I do not have to purchase the first 3 shipments again. All suggestions appreciated. Oh yes this is for the Akagi build.


Hi Blink

I have just googled "Gorilla" glue and it seems that its not going to come apart easily, if at all. Unless somebody else knows otherwise?

What you have not told us is, how far you are into the build. (A photo will help)

Depending on where you are with the build, I have a theory that you may be able to make paper templates of the offending ribs and then make new ribs with the relevant size plywood and having cut away the incorrect ribs replace them in the correct position.

This is of course dependant on where you are in the build as previously mentioned and your skill level, as some very accurate work will be required.

When you get round this issue the one tip you need is to use PVA wood glue in the future as this can be steamed apart in case of an error.

Regards
delboy271155
Derek
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"






birdaj2
#3 Posted : 20 May 2019 16:27:21

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

Joined: 31/05/2010
Posts: 4,842
Points: 14,578
Location: Wiltshire
As Derek had already said fairly bomb proof this stuff seems to be.

There are some tips here that involve acetone and superglue remover but no guaratees just how well tjis would work.

Best i can find to be honest.


https://www.google.co.uk...en-gb&client=safari

Tony
Happy Modelling

Project: USS Constitution - subscription complete.
Project: Porsche 911 - subscribed to the 24 month option. Project: Jaguar - E type
Project: Harley Davidson Fat boy. Project: Lam. Countach
Project: 1:200 Bismarck (hachette).
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 20 May 2019 21:21:47

Rank: Super-Elite
Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Registered, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Joined: 17/12/2013
Posts: 3,466
Points: 10,428
Location: NY, USA
acetone works , but you may need several applications to soften it up.

Carl

dbartonjr
#5 Posted : 23 May 2019 11:37:13

Rank: Semi-Pro Level 1

Groups: Registered

Joined: 10/10/2012
Posts: 66
Points: 191
Location: UK
Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I have had a good look at the boat and since no sides have been added I think a bit of sanding will work as well. I dry fitted the deck and everything seems to fit so I may go with that solution unless someone can identify a flaw in this strategy. I will try acetone before I go with this solution. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Dan

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2009, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.129 seconds.
DeAgostini