Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Make a display base and RECYCLE Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 14 August 2018 19:21:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Here`s an idea. Blink Blink

I`m building an Antonov cargo plane for a friend and was looking for some inspiration for a display base.

Now in a cupboard I had a frame the same as a picture frame that my wife had dicarded from a tapestry that she loved but hated the frame. (Now displayed frameless)

So what can you do with an old picture frame I thought.Confused

Simple. Take it apart and turn the parts through 90 degrees. Recut the corners to the required angle and you have a base surround with the rebate already cut to take the display surface.

This is still an ongoing project so additions will be made to this thread, but this is the start.

Pictures below show:

A dismantled piece of the frame in its original format.

The same frame turned through 90 degrees to now make a base.

Then when primed just three possible painting options shown. (This is obviously down to personnel taste).

Plus the height of the base frame can be cut to acheive the height required. (More on this later)

More soon. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20180814_181957.jpg
20180814_182037.jpg
20180814_182121.jpg
Global Forum Support Team

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w

Gandale
#2 Posted : 14 August 2018 21:17:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Like the idea Derek, will be interesting to see how this turns out..... will be watching....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 18 August 2018 22:53:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Here`s the next update for the display base.

I`ve recut the angles to turn the picture frame into a display base and cut a 9mm thick base from some MDF that I already had left over from a previous project.

At this time the parts are just put in place for purpose of these pics shown below.

I`m waiting for delivery of some frame clamps due tomorrow before I do the final glue job and I`m now onto the cover of the display working out materials and sizes, but that`s for the next update.

So more soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20180817_165509.jpg
20180817_165643.jpg

Spal
#4 Posted : 18 August 2018 23:10:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Administrators, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered

Great idea Derek BigGrin I think you have started something that others will be trying.

Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w

Built-Eaglemoss Orbiter,Solar System,Nissan GTR,DB5,DeAg Mclaren MP4-23,Hummer,Hayabusa,CB750,Harley Fatboy, Countach,Mustang,C57, Pocher Ducati,Hachette Tiger tank, Tamiya CB750F,

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 19 August 2018 17:55:04

Thanks Alan and Al. BigGrin

The frame clamps arrived as expected today so the frame is now set using PVA glue. I`ll leave the frame for 24 hours to be sure its set, but this is now a very accurately square frame.

I have attached below a picture of just one corner of the frame glued and clamped in place, but the other three corners are just as accurate and the good thing is that with all four clamps in place I can fit and glue the base surface to be sure that it all ends up solid and square.

Next update will show the base complete and the stages of finishing with the required colours.

With the base colour finished the following stage will be to add the Aircraft Stand markings. That`s for a bit later.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20180819_182738.jpg

delboy271155
#6 Posted : 20 August 2018 20:39:29

Whilst waiting for the frame to set I thought I`d have a play with the frame for the cover.

I have a collection of Proxxon tools and one of these is ideal for cutting the slots to take the perspex panels, so I set it up with a 3.2mm cutter to accept 3mm perspex.

Below are pictures of the Proxxon router and the results I have managed on its first use.

More soon. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20180820_164017.jpg
20180820_164059.jpg
20180820_163349.jpg
20180820_163433.jpg

Markwarren
#7 Posted : 20 August 2018 20:58:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Tech Support, Global Forum Support, Official Builds

Great idea, nice work Derek. Love the clamps.

Mark
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 20 August 2018 21:10:02

Markwarren wrote:
Great idea, nice work Derek. Love the clamps.

Mark

Thanks Mark for the comments BigGrin

The four clamps were purchased via Amazon and were only £16 and that included a £6 p+p charge for 24 hour delivery, so they are not expensive and obviously can be used many times.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#9 Posted : 20 August 2018 22:01:44

Groups: Official Builds, Tech Support, Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator

Another very nice update Derek and good to see you getting to grips with the cutter....Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 20 August 2018 23:39:58

Thanks for the comments Alan they are much appreciated. Cool

The thing with these Proxxon tools that people have to realise is that they are "NOT" industrial type tools.

They will perform perfectly for the "Hobbyist" if you don`t force the wood through the cutter and this is easily noticed by the sound produced by the machine.

You will notice from my first use that small ridges are evident in the cut slot. These are less than 0.5mm so with a quick rub of sand paper they will disappear. Personally I`m going to wait until the perspex arrives to test the fit before sanding the slots.

More info on the Perspex coming soon. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

GilShapley
#11 Posted : 21 August 2018 08:28:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I like to make my own display cases. There is some satisfaction when the case is complete and the model installed and on display. I like your picture frame idea, this would save a lot of work with my router and their are several shops near where I live from which I can obtain the preformed frame parts. I already have the clamps as I frame my wife's tapestry/crosstich work.

No 1 rule when using a router, don't be greedy with the cut, better to make several passes and get a good clean cut then try to hard and muck it up

Looking forward to seeing the finished case

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

[color=red][color=red]Building RB7,

[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price

[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119

ian smith
#12 Posted : 16 October 2018 14:28:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Cool fantastic idea Derek. look forward to seeing the end result.BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.