Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

First print problems Options
Chrisjs72
#1 Posted : 26 August 2018 19:26:34

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered

Joined: 26/08/2018
Posts: 3
Points: 9
Location: Nottingham
New to forum so apologies if already answered
When running the first test print bed raises then says it’s heating but heat turns off, also bed is a long way off the nozzle.?
Any help would be great
Thanks
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 26 August 2018 19:41:31

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

Joined: 27/09/2011
Posts: 13,446
Points: 40,716
Location: Dudley
BigGrin Hi Cris

Firstly welcome to the forum. This has happened before the printer is waiting for the bed to warm up but because its not heated the print wont start. if you look at the user guide in magazine 10, page 258, picture 2 you will see the 'default heated bed temp' is set at 60 change this to 0 and all should work ok after that.

AndyCool
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
Chrisjs72
#3 Posted : 27 August 2018 13:53:45

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered

Joined: 26/08/2018
Posts: 3
Points: 9
Location: Nottingham
hi
changed bed temp to 0
extruder not heating during print run ???
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 27 August 2018 14:15:38

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

Joined: 27/09/2011
Posts: 13,446
Points: 40,716
Location: Dudley
Try this:-

The issue may be the g code of the print.In many 3d files there is a g code instruction at the start of the g code which tells repetier host to wait until the print bed is up to temperature.The IDBOX printer does not have a heated print bed so the program never gets beyond this step. Here is a description of how to fix it and my protocol for printing.I have been printing with my IDBOX for 3 months and it is working really well.


Did you check the g code to see if it is waiting for the bed to heat up.I had the same problem and discovered there was a command at the start of the g code that told the printer to waiting until the bed had heated up before starting the print so repetier host wont print because the bed is not heated.This happens even if you turn off the bed in the manual control screen.

If you look at the g code in the g code editor screen you will see a command to wait for the printer bed to heat up;

The command is M190 S50

M190 refers to the bed and the S50 tells repetier host to wait until the bed is heated to 50 degrees to start printing.

All you need to do is change the code to M190 S0 and the printer should start printing.



Here is how I do my prints;

1.Load the object file into repetier host. Scale it to the size I want, center it and then slice it with curaengine.

2.Once the slicing has finished I check the g code to look for the M190 command and make sure the s is set to 0.

3.I always use a raft because often the first part of the print doesnt stick well to the bed (common to all 3d printers).The raft makes sure that once you actually start printing the object the filament is sticking down really well.

4.I then go to the manual control screen and turn the extruder on.

5.For PLA I set the extruder temp to 210 degrees.

6.Once the extruder is at working temp I press on the extruder button (set to 10) in the manual control to extrude so filament to see if it is melting OK.I find it is easier to do this now before the print table is really close to the print head.

7.I then go to the print menu and start the print. The printer will home the x and y axis and then the print bed will lower all the way down to it home position for the z axis and then move back up to the print head.As it gets close to the print head (within 20mm) the print head should start moving to the center of the print bed.The filament will start extruding.

8. The raft prints first.Then it will print your object.There is a timer telling you how long the print will take.
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
Chrisjs72
#5 Posted : 27 August 2018 15:22:44

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered

Joined: 26/08/2018
Posts: 3
Points: 9
Location: Nottingham
hi
just run through that and its working fine now
many thanks
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 27 August 2018 16:12:25

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

Joined: 27/09/2011
Posts: 13,446
Points: 40,716
Location: Dudley
BigGrin Glad to be of helpCool
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
bigliz7
#7 Posted : 10 September 2018 19:58:08

Rank: Semi-Pro Level 1

Groups: Registered

Joined: 08/08/2017
Posts: 52
Points: 201
Location: basildon/thurrock
arpurchase wrote:
Try this:-

The issue may be the g code of the print.In many 3d files there is a g code instruction at the start of the g code which tells repetier host to wait until the print bed is up to temperature.The IDBOX printer does not have a heated print bed so the program never gets beyond this step. Here is a description of how to fix it and my protocol for printing.I have been printing with my IDBOX for 3 months and it is working really well.


Did you check the g code to see if it is waiting for the bed to heat up.I had the same problem and discovered there was a command at the start of the g code that told the printer to waiting until the bed had heated up before starting the print so repetier host wont print because the bed is not heated.This happens even if you turn off the bed in the manual control screen.

If you look at the g code in the g code editor screen you will see a command to wait for the printer bed to heat up;

The command is M190 S50

M190 refers to the bed and the S50 tells repetier host to wait until the bed is heated to 50 degrees to start printing.

All you need to do is change the code to M190 S0 and the printer should start printing.



Here is how I do my prints;


1.Load the object file into repetier host. Scale it to the size I want, center it and then slice it with curaengine.

2.Once the slicing has finished I check the g code to look for the M190 command and make sure the s is set to 0.

3.I always use a raft because often the first part of the print doesnt stick well to the bed (common to all 3d printers).The raft makes sure that once you actually start printing the object the filament is sticking down really well.

4.I then go to the manual control screen and turn the extruder on.

5.For PLA I set the extruder temp to 210 degrees.

6.Once the extruder is at working temp I press on the extruder button (set to 10) in the manual control to extrude so filament to see if it is melting OK.I find it is easier to do this now before the print table is really close to the print head.

7.I then go to the print menu and start the print. The printer will home the x and y axis and then the print bed will lower all the way down to it home position for the z axis and then move back up to the print head.As it gets close to the print head (within 20mm) the print head should start moving to the center of the print bed.The filament will start extruding.

8. The raft prints first.Then it will print your object.There is a timer telling you how long the print will take.



Hi I’m having similar problems it gets to 15mm of the head then just stops the head doesn’t move I’ve set it al up so the head moves freely any clue please help
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 10 September 2018 20:05:54

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

Joined: 27/09/2011
Posts: 13,446
Points: 40,716
Location: Dudley
Hi Bigliz

This has happened before the printer is waiting for the bed to warm up but because its not heated the print wont start. If you look at the user guide in magazine 10, page 258, picture 2 you will see the 'default heated bed temp' is set at 60 change this to 0 and all should work ok after that.

Once you have reset the above try running through the running advice above.

Andy
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
bigliz7
#9 Posted : 11 September 2018 20:01:23

Rank: Semi-Pro Level 1

Groups: Registered

Joined: 08/08/2017
Posts: 52
Points: 201
Location: basildon/thurrock
arpurchase wrote:
Hi Bigliz

This has happened before the printer is waiting for the bed to warm up but because its not heated the print wont start. If you look at the user guide in magazine 10, page 258, picture 2 you will see the 'default heated bed temp' is set at 60 change this to 0 and all should work ok after that.

Once you have reset the above try running through the running advice above.

Andy

I have tried that but it still goes to 15mm and stops
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 11 September 2018 20:36:05

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

Joined: 27/09/2011
Posts: 13,446
Points: 40,716
Location: Dudley
A couple of questions, In the assembly did you get the green light from the circuit board as per the instructions. Also did you set up the head to the bed distance as per the instructions and can you double check the connections to the power box and circuit board and also the check the temperature sensor in the print head for damage.

When the print starts is the heater switched off or on at the print screen on the software.
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
bigliz7
#11 Posted : 12 September 2018 07:38:36

Rank: Semi-Pro Level 1

Groups: Registered

Joined: 08/08/2017
Posts: 52
Points: 201
Location: basildon/thurrock
Tanks for everyone’s advice especially arpurchase I changed the g code as u said and it printed straight away. It wasn’t a great print my fault completely but not to bad for my first print I need to adjust the bed height a bit more I think here’s a link to the print please like, share and subscribe and any comment good or bad are welcome BigGrin https://youtu.be/XQuDsSghjMQ
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 12 September 2018 07:59:06

Rank: Super-Elite

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Administrators, Registered, Global Forum Support, Official Builds, Moderator, Tech Support

Joined: 27/09/2011
Posts: 13,446
Points: 40,716
Location: Dudley
BigGrin Glad you got it sorted and happy printingCool
Global Forum Support Team
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

https://www.youtube.com/...4f1LE86w&app=desktop
darbyvet
#13 Posted : 12 September 2018 14:07:12

Rank: Super-Elite
Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Joined: 17/12/2013
Posts: 3,167
Points: 9,519
Location: NY, USA
Not bad for a first print.i think your bed height needs slight adjustment.The sinking on the top of the cube was probably caused by too low an infill and not enough layers.Flat surface can be difficult for 3d printers because if you dont have sufficient infill there is not enough support for the horizontal layers.You may need to go to 25% infill and at least 8 layers to get a smoother top.

This calibration piece is really helpful to see how well your printer is doing


https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409


The other thing you may need to look at is nozzle temperature.Sometimes going up or down 5 degrees gives you a better print.It takes a bit of trial and error to get things dialed in.


Carl


bigliz7
#14 Posted : 12 September 2018 15:18:43

Rank: Semi-Pro Level 1

Groups: Registered

Joined: 08/08/2017
Posts: 52
Points: 201
Location: basildon/thurrock
darbyvet wrote:
Not bad for a first print.i think your bed height needs slight adjustment.The sinking on the top of the cube was probably caused by too low an infill and not enough layers.Flat surface can be difficult for 3d printers because if you dont have sufficient infill there is not enough support for the horizontal layers.You may need to go to 25% infill and at least 8 layers to get a smoother top.

This calibration piece is really helpful to see how well your printer is doing


https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409


The other thing you may need to look at is nozzle temperature.Sometimes going up or down 5 degrees gives you a better print.It takes a bit of trial and error to get things dialed in.


Carl



Thank Carl any clue what’s causing the front face to not be the right size
darbyvet
#15 Posted : 12 September 2018 16:02:22

Rank: Super-Elite
Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourPublisher Medal: Article published MedalActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Joined: 17/12/2013
Posts: 3,167
Points: 9,519
Location: NY, USA
bigliz7 wrote:
darbyvet wrote:
Not bad for a first print.i think your bed height needs slight adjustment.The sinking on the top of the cube was probably caused by too low an infill and not enough layers.Flat surface can be difficult for 3d printers because if you dont have sufficient infill there is not enough support for the horizontal layers.You may need to go to 25% infill and at least 8 layers to get a smoother top.

This calibration piece is really helpful to see how well your printer is doing


https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409


The other thing you may need to look at is nozzle temperature.Sometimes going up or down 5 degrees gives you a better print.It takes a bit of trial and error to get things dialed in.


Carl



Thank Carl any clue what’s causing the front face to not be the right size



It could be a number of things.the first thing I would do is get the nozzle to build table gap right.If it the nozzle is too close it may be dragging in the print and causing misalignment problems.

You can print a simple cube with no detail on it to see if your build table is level.

Carl
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2009, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.193 seconds.
DeAgostini